Sunday, May 30, 2010

20 bags in 20 days





BEST SPRING CLEANING EVER!!!!

I am so excited about this new project. If you haven't been to Clover Lane then you must. She is amazing. She is a mother of 5 with a system for everything and she always inspires me to improve myself. Well, she is Catholic and came up with this decluttering idea for Lent.

So she divided up her house into 40 areas and is taking 40 days to completely purge and organize and improve those areas. As someone who is a huge fan of purging I got really excited about it! She calls it 40 bags in 40 days (meaning she hopes to get rid of a bag of stuff in each space). Click here and on her side bar click on 40 bags in 40 days. Check out her other systems too. Its cool.

Anywho... I am taking the opportunity since I have a teeny tiny apartment to learn to live simply and stay organized. I am modifying the plan from 40 to 20 because even if I tried I wouldn't have 40 areas in my house. So today I got started. And here is the list I came up with...

1. TV area (organize wires)
2. Bedroom closet
3. My computer desk
4. Parker's computer desk
5. Parker's study desk
6. Under the sink in the bathroom
7. In the shower
8. Under the kitchen sink
9.Hair cupboard ( I have an area for my extra hair supplies)
10. Kitchen cupboards
11. Pots and pans cupboard
12. Drawers in the kitchen
13. Laundry area
14. Pantry
15. Outside storage
16. Living room bookcase
17. Bedside tables
18. Fridge
19. Medicine cabinet
20. Dresser

Yes my areas are small but each could use some kind of improvement.

Today Here is what I did...

Under Kitchen Sink Before...



and After...

I also found out that I had a huge amount of multi-purpose cleaners! I didn't purge those because it's a waste to toss them but I won't need to buy that for the next couple years! haha

and here's what I purged... although a couple of things will be relocated.


Next I did my hair cupboard. I have a suitcase that I have all my traveling salon hair supplies in but some extra things that I don't always need with me go here. Before...


After...

and here's what I purged...

Here is my bedside table... my biggest peeve... Before...

I hate when this basket gets full.

After...
And what I purged...

Okay into the bathroom. My medicine cabinet before...
And after....

and what I purged....
And into the shower. This one isn't that bad but drives me crazier than anything else! So, Before...
and After...

and what I purged...

Parker has a seprate study area in our room for when he needs to concentrate and he doesn't use it when it becomes our catch all, which it has become since school got out. Well, we got to get it ready for next semester at Sac State. So, Before...

After...
And what I purged...

That's what I have so far. Maybe nobody wants to watch me spring clean but too bad.
It makes me look really messy ( and maybe I am ) but these are all things that get pushed to the side because the house can look decent even when these things are messed up so I rarely get to them. It may not seem like I purged a lot but when you live in 700 Square feet everything needs to be necessary. ( especially when I finally get pregnant and we have a baby and all it's stuff here!)
Im excited to get going on the rest of my list.

Happy spring cleaning everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I need this sooooo badly! I've been wanting to get rid of all sorts of junk in our place, especially since the roadshow, and I totally understand how in a one bedroom space, you need all the room you can get! I love the idea of doing one area at a time. I will definitely be working on this soon!

    ReplyDelete